Monday, April 6, 2009

Pink Dogwood


This beautiful Pink Dogwood is on the grounds of Christ Church Episcopal where we worship. Notice how the flowers seem to lie in flat layers due to the way the branches grow. Dogwoods naturally grow in sheltered places often as the understory of a forest. Looking out through a wooded area the dogwoods shine like lights under the taller trees.

Stepping delicately out of the dark wood
the startling loveliness of the dogwood in bloom
makes each tree seem a presence,
calling forth an exclamation of praise.
On the almost naked branches
the blossoms shine forth in long flat sprays
turning their pure faces up towards the sky.

David Culross Peattie

4 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Don't think we have dogwoods over here - if I have time today I must check in my A-Z of horticulture.

Hope your visit to the dentist went well yesterday Bill and that you're now well and truly finished with sitting in the dreaded chair!
I go this afternoon for my crown and the only thing I dread about that is the bill I will have to pay!

Anne

Micki02 said... [Reply to comment]

Hello
What a wonderfull tree !! i don't some like that at home. This morning i was going at our litle church to take some photos for a friend i will present it to you next days !!
Bye

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

These dogwoods are native to North America and grow wild here. They are so lovely that I imagine they have been transported all over the world as specimen trees in gardens. I have one in my front yard and another in back but they are still very small.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I think we have a few in Canada, but not in France. The shape of the tree is interesting: long trunk and spread out branches, to get better sun I guess.

Flowers look lovely... true spring over there!