Friday, April 24, 2009

Crescent Moon for Zhu


Enjoy the Beauty of a Thin Crescent Moon

A couple of weeks ago When I posted a photo of the full moon, Zhu commented that she really loved a crescent moon. I promised her a picture of one and here it is. I have to admit that I did not take this photograph, it is part of an excellent article from Space.com that my favorite nephew Glen sent to me today. It explains just what a new crescent moon is and how to see it in the next few evenings.

Look to the west an hour or so after sunset and you should be able to see the crescent moon, the star cluster The Pleiades, and even the planet Mercury. Click on the photo above and read all about it.

Zhu, I promised you the moon and here it is.

3 comments:

Elleona said... [Reply to comment]

Bonjour Bill.

Cette photo du mince croissant de lune est magnifique mais quelle est la ville en-dessous ?
L'article était très intéressant et j' y ai appris ce qu'était l' earthshine... je ne savais pas que c'était la lumière solaire réfléchie par la Terre et qui revenait sur la Lune.
Merci de nous instruire !
Kisses.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Je ne sais pas où la photo a été prise, il accompagnait l'article. Je vais essayer de prendre mon propre bientôt.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

"Your moon awaits you."

... it was so beautifully said, it put a big smile on my face!

That's so sweet of you! :)

The article is interesting -- I'm going to pay attention to the phases described. The sky is so clean and pure in Canada, it's very easy to spot even the tiniest crescent...! These I things I never paid attention to in France, where skies are more stormy and cloudy.