Saturday, March 28, 2009

Snow, Snow, Snow


Here are my poor lilacs. They were in full bloom. I took a nice picture of them on Thursday and planned to use it Friday but featured the rain instead. It may make a nice jigsaw for Sunday. If the temperature does not go much below freezing the lilacs may survive.


The snow is even sticking on the streets. We are forecast to have 4 inches (10 cm) but it is that deep already and the snow is to continue all day. Last week we had a high temperature of 82*F (28*C). Oklahoma weather is variable if nothing else.

If you look at a geological map of the United States you will see that Oklahoma lies just below the center. To the west and east are mountains. to the north are the great plains and Canada. To the south is Texas and the Gulf of Mexico. Cold dry air comes down from the north and warm moist air comes up from the south and the elements fight it out over Oklahoma. As these weather systems swing one way and then the other, the weather in Oklahoma can chage very dramatically. I suppose it would be boring to live where the weather is predictable.


Last night the forecast was for the rain to turn to snow. I didn't take that seriously because the temperature was not supposed to drop below freezing. My mistake. The temperature is 37*F (3*C) but the snow is coming down so hard that it is accumulating anyway.

3 comments:

Micki02 said... [Reply to comment]

What a wonderful country one day in a swimsuit, the other big coat! Lilats poor, I hope they will survive. This year we had a Neide for several days, I have a wonderful sauce laurel in the garden, the leaves have frozen, they become brown, I would not laurel in my kitchen this year! Damn time! we can do nothing against him, we must adapt and ... make pretty pictures!
Bises

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I know we Brits ALWAYS talk about the weather (it's our favourite subject). However, if we had weather changes like yours we'd be stuttering with excitement. The poor lilac and just when your trees are in such beautiful blossom. Is snow this deep normal at this time of year?

Anne

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Snow at thia time of year is very unusual. I should not have complained that we have not had a decent snow all winter. I hate to think I brought this on.