Sunday, January 18, 2009

Squirrels and Bird Feeders

I like to feed and watch the birds. I don't mind squirrels as they have to eat too. In fact I have a squirrel feeder that I keep corn and peanuts in. Of course the squirrels suck it dry and then go after everything else.

A lot of birds love to peck at a loaf of bread but the squirrels pull it down before the birds have much of a chance at it. To prevent this I bought a 8 foot tall pole to keep the bread out of reach. It is out in the middle of the yard so they can't jump on it from a tree limb. Obviously that isn't tall enough. Squirrels are not only very nimble, they are clever little critters.

4 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Squirrels are smart little animals!

This one looks different than the ones we have in Canada though.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

We have red squirrels, maybe yours are grey. There are lots of different varieties. Are their squirrels in Bolivia?

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

To my rheumy old eyes that squirrel stand doesn't look terribly secure. Is it listing to starboard?
I've never thought of putting a whole loaf of bread out for the birds, normally just crumbs from my table!!!!
I've just done a little catch-up and seen your picture of the Church AGM - I must learn from that. When we have the AGMs at the apartments where I live we only get the usual dozen or so stalwarts BUT if we served a buffet perhaps we might get more attendees? Your community definitely lives on its stomach(s).

Anne

Elleona said... [Reply to comment]

Oui mais les écureuils sont mignons !
Chez nous aussi, nous mettons à manger pour les oiseaux : mésanges, moineaux et même des pies qui adorent les croquettes des chiens !
Bisous à tous les deux et caresses à Smokey.