Thursday, March 18, 2010

Tulsa Community College - Downtown Campus

Tulsa Community College was founded in 1970 as Tulsa Junior College to serve Tulsa and the surrounding community. It is the largest two-year college in Oklahoma and serves approximately 30,000 students per semester in credit and continuing education classes.

TCC consists of four campuses and a conference center situated throughout the Tulsa metropolitan area with an annual budget of approximately $84 million. The College employs about 2,712 people, including 275 full-time faculty and 843 adjunct faculty. For the sixth consecutive year, TCC is ranked in the top three percent of more than 1,150 community colleges nationally in the number of associate degrees awarded in all disciplines.

The building on the left was originally the shop building for old Central High School, when it was in downtown Tulsa.  The building on the right was extensively remodeled and expanded in the late 1990s and is handsome inside and out.  I have taken some language classes here (Spanish) and taught several corporate seminars for TCC after I retired in 1997.  The best thing I did with TCC was to go on a school sponsored trip to England and France in 2000. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Ah, that's how you went to France and the UK! I didn't know you took some Spanish classes either. Is there a big latino community in Tulsa?

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Zhu - Yes, large and growing. The local rednecks complain about all the Hispanics moving in. Every group has it drunks and thugs, I don't see them as any worse that any other group. The Hispanics that I have encountered are working hard and sending money home to mama. The kids are clean and well behaved, and are in school learning English to be the family interpreter. I volunteered for awhile at one of the elementary schools in an Hispanic part of town and thought that as a rule they were a nice bunch of kids.

About the Spanish, I took two semesters just after I retired thinking I would do some travel in Mexico. I had to cut the 2nd semester short because I was diagnosed with cancer. After the surgery and 6 months of chemo and radiation therapy I tried to go back but it seems like my brain had been erased. Now 12 years later I don't remember much. I am not the language sponge that you are.

Thanks for your interest. I have a high regard for you.

sewa mobil said... [Reply to comment]

Hi I saw your blog. You have done a good job, I really liked
your blog and very informative. I believe that many visitors
will find it very useful to you