Saturday, March 20, 2010

Monochrome Weekend - Mont Saint-Michel

Mont Saint-Michel is a small island just off the coast of Normandy.  It has been a monastic establishment since the 8th century.  The great abbey and church at the peak were constructed in the 11th and 12th centuries.  The tides around the island  can vary as much as 45 feet (14 meters) with the result that it is an island at high tide and is surrounded by salt flats at low tide.  It is reached by a natural land bridge which was fortified into a true causeway in 1889.

When I visited in June of 2000 there was a festival of being held with many families wearing the traditional clothing of their region.  There was much celebration, even a fine brass band at the top, playing in the courtyard.  We picked a good day to attend.

Our tour guide advised us that there were many restaurants through the village that wound up the road to the abbey.  She said that the two specialties here were omelets and lamb.  The well-flavored meat that results from the diet of the sheep in the area makes salt meadow lamb a local specialty.  I walked up to the abbey and stopped at a small restaurant that served me the best omelette au fromage (cheese omelet) of my life.  Later several of the younger girls in the group boasted that they had found a place that served Hamburgers!  What a waste.

More Monochrome Weekend

15 comments:

Dragonstar said... [Reply to comment]

My son visited Mont Saint-Michel a few years ago, and brought me a miniature of the place as an ornament. The silly thing that always surprises me is that the model looks just like your photo ;)

Tania said... [Reply to comment]

So beautiful castle! Lovely shot in b/w.
Wish you a nice weekend!

Carver said... [Reply to comment]

What a beautiful place and a great shot of it.

Dimple said... [Reply to comment]

This is a fine photo; I think the monastery looks just like a castle. Of course, I've never seen the real thing, except in pictures.

Too bad the teenagers didn't try the local food special!ties

Bengbeng said... [Reply to comment]

it is incredible that such a long time ago they were able to produce such an aesthetically pleasing and yet capable of enduring the toil of the centuries.

jennyfreckles said... [Reply to comment]

It's beautiful, isn't it? The mono treatment helps to show the shape of the Mont. I remember eating crepes in the street here.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

What a beautiful castle...
Nice photo!

Dagrun said... [Reply to comment]

I've been there several times actually, it's truly an amazing place!

Julie said... [Reply to comment]

The framing and locating to one side is really becoming here, Bill. This is one place that I would like to visit. My daughter was there in the late 90s and waxed lyrical.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

My grandmo was from there and Mme Poulard is well known in the Mont Saint Michel. This summer I'll be there, very nice picture! Les galettes du Mt St Michel are delicious.
Bye,
Serge

Nydia said... [Reply to comment]

I remember a photo of this place in high tide! Yor shot is terrific!

Kisses from Nydia.

Coffeeveggie addict. said... [Reply to comment]

great p0st,with c0mplete hist0ry.thanks for sharing

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I went long time ago with my parents... It's quite a unique place, I should visit again. Brittany is a great place to visit, so much to see!

Samson said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful castle, nice shot

My Entry - Storm

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Incredible, I have never visited anything like Mont Saint-Michel. I bet you can feel the weight of history as you walk through the doors. At some point, perhaps I can spend some time in Europe.