Thursday, January 28, 2010

Coliseum Apartments



Coliseum Apartments, 625 South Elgin, Tulsa, Oklahoma

Tulsa is home to a great many old Art Deco Buildings. Many are recognized as landmarks and are on the list of historic places. But there are many more old buildings that reflect the classic art deco style but have not gained the attention of their more famous cousins. The Coliseum Apartments are one of these. In the detail below look at the decorative brick work and stone trim that encloses the dorway and runs around the top. Famous or not I think this is is worth a second look.







My interest in photography goes back to 1964 when I was stationed in South Korea as a young Army Lieutenant. I bought a nice 35mm camera, a Pentax Spotmatic and made use of the photo lab in our recreation center. At the time print film was black and white. If you wanted color you shot color slides. Later when color film got better and cheaper I shot mostly in color. Since my first digital camera I shoot color exclusively.

Lately I have joined a number of photo bloggers in converting some things to black and white or sepia. My old friend black and white has some advantages. In today's photo I like black and white because it brings out the contrast in the brick facade of this old apartment building. Also, if we had a photograph of this building when it was new, it would surely be in black and white. I hope you find this interesting.










Original taken January 20, 2010

7 comments:

Clueless in Boston said... [Reply to comment]

Very nice looking old building. I agree that some photos look better or show detail better in b+w. Color sometimes can obscure or detract from an image.

Yogi♪♪♪ said... [Reply to comment]

This building is a good example of the better contrast with black and white compared to color.

I think the apartment is relatively close to the former site of the Tulsa Coliseum which has quite a history. It burned down to the ground in the 50's.

Hilda said... [Reply to comment]

I agree that this one looks better in b&w, and it's a very interesting historic building.

Looks like you've been blogging for quite some time, but I'd like to welcome you to the CDP community! I hope you like it there.

Sharon's Mum Anne said... [Reply to comment]

Coliseum: old fashioned name for an old fashioned building. I'm definitely for bw on this one - I simply like a bit of colour when it comes to nature!

Nancy said... [Reply to comment]

Great photo showing the pretty details of this building.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Do you still have your pictures of South Korea somewhere? I'd be curious to see them!

Hotels Nicosia said... [Reply to comment]

The American history is not very long so all the more reason not to forget such old buildings!