Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Beavers Bend State Park, Oklahoma


The Ouachita (Wa '-chi-ta) Mountains run east of Broken Bow into southwestern Arkansas. In spite of the coudy skies, there is a lot of muted color in this picture. Click to enlarge.

The Ouachita are very old and their craggy tops have eroded away leaving low formations that used to be the heart of the mountains. They are similar in structure and related to the Appalachian Mountains. Unlike most other mountain ranges in the United States, the Ouachitas run east and west rather than north and south.


Here is another part of Broken Bow Lake. Next time we are down here I will bring my fishing gear.


There are a good number of white tailed deer in the park. They are accustomed to cars driving through but shied away when we stopped close by. There were a group of 5 young deer who were grazing by the road. They were interested in the leaves of this shrub.

6 comments:

Sharon's Mum Anne said... [Reply to comment]

Those are such serene pictures.
Here's where I show my ignorance, when Glen Campbell sings about Witchita Line Man have I been mishearing him? Or are Watchita (spelling) and Witchita totally different places?

Yogi♪♪♪ said... [Reply to comment]

Again, great pictures. I like the deer by the road best.

Micki02 said... [Reply to comment]

What lovely deers ! you are very lucky, in my place we can't see them so nearly !
you are a very good photograph !
kisses to you and your familly

Micki02 said... [Reply to comment]

What lovely deers ! you are very lucky, in my place we can't see them so nearly !
you are a very good photograph !
kisses to you and your familly

Snowcatcher said... [Reply to comment]

I love the deer shot, and the muted colors in the first shot make me long for autumn, even though I'm anxious for spring!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

You are right, the colors are amazing in the first picture.

Are you into fishing?