Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Big Old Trees


Now that most of the leaves have fallen the structure of trees becomes visible; we can see their bones. These are both the same kind of oak tree, I think maybe red oak. One thing for sure, these have been here for awhile and they are big fellows. The other thing that is interesting about them is the way the limbs branch from the main trunk. The tree on the left was allowed to grow in a usual way with limbs developing up from the center. The tree on the right was lopped off about shoulder high and allowed to grow back from a series of side shoots. The difference in structure might not be apparent when the trees are in full leaf.


The size of the trees is emphasized by the height of the man standing beside them. The little boy in me sees the open space within the great cluster of side limbs as a wonderful place for a tree house.

4 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said... [Reply to comment]

I love the big old oak trees scattered around town. The two you show are beautiful.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Now those are what our home-grown trees look like. I love to paint bare trees.

Anne

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

The structure of these old trees always impresses me. I had the same feeling a few weeks ago when the last leaves fell.

Primary Work at Home said... [Reply to comment]

I love old trees. It's so beautiful.