Saturday, June 11, 2011

Weekend Reflections - Philbrook Art Museum

The Philbrook Art Museum and Gardens is one of Tulsa's treasures.  Philbrook is an Italian Renaissance villa built in 1927 to be the home of oilman Waite Phillips.  In 1938 Phillips surprised Tulsans with the announcement of his gift of the 72-room mansion and surrounding 23 acres of grounds as an art center for the city of Tulsa. The original mansion remains intact as space for Philbrook's extensive collection of American and European paintings. The facility has expanded on the north side to provide additional exhibit space, a gift shop, an auditorium, class rooms and administrative offices. 

Last Wednesday I spent several hours wandering through the gardens and took a large number of photographs, too many to post at one time. Today is a brief introduction, and a promise to share more as the summer continues. I hope you will enjoy them.


The 23 acres around and behind the museum are beautifully landscaped.  The area directly behind the mansion is laid out in a formal Italian renassiance style.  The lower level surrounds a reflecting pond landscaped in a manner reminecent of Monet's garden. 

The pond is well stocked with large Koi.  When the visitor steps to the edge of the water the fish often swarm over hoping to be fed.


More Weekend Reflections


9 comments:

James said... [Reply to comment]

Great shots!
It looks like an interesting place. In fact I would have stopped there If I had more time when I was in Tulsa a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I just spent the night then hit the road in the morning. Good thing I left when I did because I was just 10 minutes ahead of a tornado in Clinton. The night before tornado warnings followed me all through Missouri all the way into Tulsa. :)

'Tsuki said... [Reply to comment]

Thanks for sharing with us such a beauty... I specially enjoy the shot with the kiosque : it looks so romantical, in all this vegetation...

Birdman said... [Reply to comment]

Neat koi shot.

Jan n Jer said... [Reply to comment]

Sounds like a photographers dream...I love to visit places like this with my camera! Love the water shots...great reflections!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Well, you should have stayed with us or at least called so we could meet for dinner.

DrillerAA09 said... [Reply to comment]

It has been ages since I was inside Philbrook. And yes, it is a true Tulsa treasure. Thank you for bringing it to mind.

forgetmenot said... [Reply to comment]

What beautiful gardens--a lovely place to "roam" around in. Love the reflection of the gazebo. Mickie :)

Oakland Daily Photo said... [Reply to comment]

Classical grace in every shot.

Yogi♪♪♪ said... [Reply to comment]

Great pics. I can't get enough of photos of the grounds.