Monday, June 27, 2011

Macro Monday - Portulaca or Moss Rose


Portulaca or Moss Rose is a hardy perennial.  Last summer I planted this in a pot that sat on the deck.  It has succulent foliage and can tolerate dry weather or periods when I forget to water.  Then it dies back when winter comes and looks very dead.  We had some very cold weather last winter, down to -14 F and anything in an unprotected flower post should have been winter killed.  But with the return of warm weather it reappears and is blooming again  The lovely fragile looking flowers open and bloom for only a day or so then wither and dry up.  But there are so many blooms that it is always attractive..  This is my kind of flower!


See more Macro Monday

5 comments:

Birdman said... [Reply to comment]

As I told AL, gotta get me a macro. These are too enticing.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful capture of those frilly petals!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

The petals look so delicate!

Jack said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful. I don't know if this is available in New England. Doesn't look familiar.

Pooja Singh said... [Reply to comment]

So beautiful. Nice