Sunday, June 26, 2011

Pergola Post









Last week we had Tulsa Woodscapes build a pergola on the long deck behind our house.  They did a beautiful job.  We are looking forward to enjoying this for a long time.  The pergola will give us some shade so we can enjoy being outside during our hot Oklahoma summer.

Now my next project is to choose some climbing plants to cover the top and provide shade, fragrance, and colorful flowers.  Wisteria is the classic vine for an arbor or pergola but requires a lot of pruning to keep it under control.  Other options are honeysuckle, trumpet vines, jasmine, roses, and clematis.  I'm leaning toward a mixture of climbing rose and clematis.


6 comments:

Leedslass said... [Reply to comment]

That is fantastic Bill and what a wonderful addition to an already beautiful garden. Enjoy choosing your climbers :-)
I am so looking forward to moving into my new apt. (hopefully in the next month) and, although the grounds are tended, I have my own little bit of patio area and I'm wanting a bird feeder. How funny, I never thought I'd get excited over something so mundane as a bird feeder!!!!

Birdman said... [Reply to comment]

Looks beautiful. One the vines and flowers get into the mix, it'll be heavenly. Enjoy iy!

Shirley said... [Reply to comment]

The pergola is a great addition to your garden! Whatever you choose as a climber will look terrific in your already lovely yard.

TulsaWoodscapes said... [Reply to comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
TulsaWoodscapes said... [Reply to comment]

Bill,
I want to thank you for posting this and it was our pleasure to build / install a pergola that not only gives you and Susan a place to enjoy your great backyard but that blends in with it as well. I hope you guys make many memories while enjoying your "new" outdoor living area.

Thanks,
Cole M.
918.948.7007
Tulsa Woodscapes

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

That is a lovely documentation of your project, Bill. Congratulations on its completion, and on the beautiful garden setting. No doubt you will have many great summer days in these beautiful surroundings.