Saturday, August 7, 2010

Weekend Reflections - Cantigny Center

The Visitor's Center at the Cantigny Gardens has a glass floor.  Beneath the glass is a scale model of the garden.

The whole of Cantigny park covers 500 acres.  Besides the botanical gardens there is a military museum, picnic and camping areas, and a golf course and restaurant.  This is all laid out to scale beneath the glass floor.  I'm sure the floor is capable of supporting a good deal of weight, however, I skirted the edges just to be safe.


The park includes a veterans memorial and military museum with vintage tanks and canons.   In the gift shop Willy found a toy rifle and helmet that he could not live without.  He struck appropriate poses and asked for pictures.  Willy makes a good soldier.



We saw a lot this week but if I were to name a favorite thing it would be this park.  Perhaps the most surprising thing about it is that the admission was only $5.00 per car for parking.  Quite a bargain.  Thank you Mr. McCormick.  The park is just outside of Chicago in Wheaton, Illinois.  To read about this fine park look HERE.

13 comments:

Oakland Daily Photo said... [Reply to comment]

Glass floors always play havoc with my depth perception. What I like best about your post is that you took this trip with your grandson. And he clearly was loving it.

Sharon's Mum Anne said... [Reply to comment]

I would have been with you, walking round the edge of the glass floor - I like solid ground beneath my feet:-)

I found your comment about Willy being unable to live without his helmet and gun so amusing.

Elleona said... [Reply to comment]

Tous les petits garçons aiment jouer à la guerre !
Absente pendant deux jour car l'Hôm installait la "Box SFR"...
bisous.

Julie said... [Reply to comment]

Isn't it strange the reactions we have to glass floors. I too give them a wide berth and yet I weigh 48kgs!!! We have something similar to this in the floor of the City Library branch down at Circular Quay which shows a scale model of the city part of the harbour. Fascinating to pour over and pick the boo-boos.

Francisca said... [Reply to comment]

Like your other visitors, I'd stay clear of the glass... but it certainly draws attention. Your grandson looks like he's thoroughly enjoying this outing with you, even posing so charmingly. Nice post.

Yogi♪♪♪ said... [Reply to comment]

I'd never heard of this park. I think a Chicago trip is in the future for us and I'll have to remember this.

Micki02 said... [Reply to comment]

Will ressemble beaucoup à mon fils, lui aussi aime les fusils et les casques de soldat alors qu'il est incapable de faire du mal à une mouche !! mais ainsi sont les garçons !
C'est effectivement une bonne chose que le prix d'entrée soit si bas, nous aussi, nous faisons attention à cet élément quand nous visitons un endroit, à cinq personnes, la facture peut vite être élevée !

Birdman said... [Reply to comment]

Ya, I must say the glass floor at the top of the CN Tower in Toronto would be a place to stay away from, if you fear heights.

'Tsuki said... [Reply to comment]

I hope you had a really great time during your visit ; your grandson seems to have really enjoy it...

I like very much your reflection shot : glass floor are such nice to frame... Thanks for the lovely sharing.

EG CameraGirl said... [Reply to comment]

I love the idea of the scale model of the park but I think I'd view it from the edges. :)

How wonderful that the price was so inexpensive!

TorAa said... [Reply to comment]

I'm impressed how you capture and focus your experiences in a way that makes me as well interested.
That is in itself an art.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

The glass floor is a really good idea! Makes for a cool shot.

michael said... [Reply to comment]

That does look like a great and inexpensive outing with the old military gear and a garden. My wife and I would both be happy.

I'm with you about skirting the glass.