Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Leon's Restaurant in Brookside


Located at 3301 South Peoria Avenue this was built in 1945 and has changed hands several times. It was perhaps best known as the S&J Oyster Bar. In its present incarnation it is Leon's, an upscale bar and restaurant.


Susan and I stopped there for a late lunch today. The menu had a good variety to choose from and the bar looked very well stocked. We settled for iced tea and a soup and salad combination. I had a green salad with ranch dressing and a bowl of gumbo, Sue had a Caesar salad and chicken tortilla soup. It was attractive, well served, and very tasty. The soup was rather spicy which I enjoyed.


The curved ceiling is a glass skylight giving the well lit interior a spacious feeling. The dining area was quite noisy when we arrived but by the time we finished our lunch we had the place to ourselves. We enjoyed our visit and will come back again to see what is for dinner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Looks like my sort of place to enjoy a light luncheon.

Anne

Sunshine said... [Reply to comment]

I love Brookside. There are some great restaurants over there (not sure what the name is, but I had pizza at one place on Peoria that was to die for).

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I like when restaurants are well lit. I may be old fashioned, but I need to see what's in my plate!

Looks like the kind of place I'd like. No picture of food... did you eat too fast? ;)