Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering September 11, 2001

Tulsa's twin towers are opposite sides of a large Oak tree.  Appropriately located in Veteran's Park at 21st Street and Boulder Avenue is this dramatic chainsaw sculpture by Tulsa's Clayton Coss. One side reminds us of the cost of our freedom and the other of its fruits. The 10th anniversary of September 11 is a good time to remember both.   An article written when the sculpture was created is HERE.

On September 11, 2001 I was using my computer and got a news flash that an aircraft had struck one of the World Trade Center buildings in New York City.  Assuming it was some sort of a terrible accident I turned on my TV set in time to see the second airplane strike.  I just sat and watched in disbelief thinking that it must be a mistake, that it looked like a special effects movie.  Most people can remember exactly what they were doing when they first got the news.  Where were you?

An extensive collection of photographs remembering 9/11 can be found at LIFE.COM.

3 comments:

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

We Will Never Forget ~ 09.11.2001, may God bless us as we heal from this American tragedy.

Leedslass said... [Reply to comment]

I have sat here all day with tears rolling down my cheeks - how could we ever forget?

Ryan said... [Reply to comment]

This is such an original tribute to remember the victims of 9/11. I remember that terrible day like it was yesterday and it is now etched into my mind forever.
Peace