Monday, September 6, 2010

Macro Monday - Turtle Guiro


I do the percussion for my church's music group.  Normally I use a big Djembe drum for a variety of sounds but have some other things as well.  This little guy is a Guiro (pronounced WEE-roh) carved in the shape of a turtle.  The wooden rod or striker is used to run back and forth over the ridges along the back of the shell, or strike the body which is hollow.  It makes a nice bright cheerful sound.  Sam. the 2 year old son of our cellist (cello player) was playing it today.

4 comments:

Birdman said... [Reply to comment]

An interesting post today... keep the beat!

Sharon's Mum Anne said... [Reply to comment]

He's too cute to be beaten!

Yogi♪♪♪ said... [Reply to comment]

Son has one, I never knew what they were called but it is fun to play.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I brought back a similar musical instrument from China!