Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thursday Theme Day - Pink! My Roses

The Thursday Theme for this week is Think Pink!  To find pink at my house I need go no farther than the corner of my garage.  This vigorous rose is a Climbing New Dawn.  It is a delicate shell pink and has a faint but pleasant rose scent. 

This is an amazingly hardy rose.  I started this one from a cutting about 15 years ago.  My mother was given one of these when I was a boy.  She planted it beside a little shed in the back yard and it grew up and over the shed into the alley behind it.  Released in 1930, this very healthy climbing rose is a repeat blooming sport of Dr. W. Van Fleet.  It blooms profusely in the spring and intermittently over the rest of the year. 

See More  Thursday Theme Day

17 comments:

nanny said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful roses!!! I have never had luck with roses, I think they need much care!!!! You obviously have the touch!!!!

Brian Miller said... [Reply to comment]

oh wow. what a beautiful rose bush....happy tt!

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

The smell must be lovely! I love this shade of pink.

Yogi♪♪♪ said... [Reply to comment]

I love how you let it take over a corner of your garage opening.

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Yogi - When it finishes the initial bloom cycle I will do some pruning and tie back the loose ends but for now I will just enjoy it. You are welcome to some cuttings.

Sharon's Mum Anne said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful climbing rose BUT how do you get your car into the garage?

Cheryl said... [Reply to comment]

I love this particular color and the way this bush crawls. How lucky for you the climate in Texas favors a year-long bloom.

Best TT color I've seen so far.

DrillerAA09 said... [Reply to comment]

You have a green thumb when it comes to roses. These are beautiful.

James said... [Reply to comment]

I imagine that you stop to smell the roses quite often. :)

Gena D said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Bill!!! Love your climbing rose, my goodness it's looking amazing!!!
Love you door post too!!
Gena @ Thinking Aloud

Karen Harrington said... [Reply to comment]

Lovely flowers you have there. I can only imagine how wonderful they smell right now.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Awesome!!
Lu

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

The result of 15 years of passion for roses, beautiful artwork!
Serge

Jingle said... [Reply to comment]

lively!

Baino said... [Reply to comment]

Very pretty rambler. Does it have a perfume? So few roses do these days. I'm jealous of your spring mornings as we descend into early chilliness in winter!

Julie said... [Reply to comment]

This is a gorgeous looking plant. So healthy.

PattiKen said... [Reply to comment]

Wow! How beautiful! You must have a really green thumb!

My post for Pink, close to my heart, is up here.