Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Philbrook Flowers


While we were admiring the gardens at Philbrook Art Museum last Saturday I was taking photographs in all directions. Far too many to post at one time. These are Sweet Peas. Philbrook has turned some of its formal gardens into kitchen gardens and have been growing peas, carrots, lettuce, etc. to be used in their restaurant. School children have been involved in the project and it has been a nice thing.


I am ashamed to say that I do not know the name of these flowers. They grow is waves of purple velvet along the back edge of the pond, and are covered with sleepy bees who fly slowly and methodically, half drunk with nectar

.
And these are Lantana in a lovely shave of violet and pink. I am more used to seeing them in shades of yellow and orange. The butterflies don't seem to care and sail around looking for just the right blossom. This monarch is a common visitor.

2 comments:

RennyBA's Terella said... [Reply to comment]

How nice to turn some into a kitchen garden and involve kids projects - a great way to learn I think

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

Love this set of pictures, sorry I've only just discovered them!

Anne