Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wordless Wednesday - Kaiser Darrin Doors





Wednesday is the day when I usually post interesting doors to a home, church, or commercial building.  But today I want to share the unique doors of a classic automobile.  The 1954 Kaiser Darrin was like nothing else.  The Kaiser-Frazer Company was created in 1945 to sell passenger cars to an American public that had gone through 4 years of wartime when civilian automobiles were unavailable.  Various models of Kaiser and Frazer automobiles were manufactured and sold beginning in 1947 until 1955.  The Darrin had a fiberglass body and patented doors that slid back into the body.  Only 435 were made of which 392 are still in existence.  Here are some links to satisfy your curiosity.  Enjoy!  (Oops, shhhh! we are supposed to be wordless.)

A good over view of Kaiser-Frazer is HERE.
A good history of the Kaiser Darrin is HERE.

More Wordless Wednesday 

6 comments:

caite said... [Reply to comment]

Oh my, that is one sharp car!

Yogi♪♪♪ said... [Reply to comment]

Great photos Bill. I loved that car, not that I want to own one.

Really enjoyed seeing the show with you. We'll have to do some more joint ventures.

Leedslass said... [Reply to comment]

I've never ever seen a car door that slid like that one - seems like a good idea to me. Cars built in 1945 with the name "kaiser" appears to be a little odd.

DrillerAA09 said... [Reply to comment]

I believe that I have seen one of these on the Barrett-Jackson auction. Really interesting design.

Lea said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

Diveboard Dave said... [Reply to comment]

Nice! Very nice!