Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ruby Tuesday - Great Wall of Knockout.

There is a hedge of Red Knockout shrub rose that runs all the way down the east side of my back yard.  It grows like crazy and is tough as a boot.  Once it is established it requires no care other than to be topped off once a year when it gets higher than my 6 foot wooden fence.  It blooms continuously from mid April until frost in late October or November.  I planted these about 5 summers ago and am more than pleased with them.  Since then I see that there are now more varieties in different colors, but that's OK.  Mine have a 5 year head start.

See more Ruby Tuesdays

4 comments:

Kim, USA said... [Reply to comment]

It is indeed a knockout, it's pretty. I can only imagine if my fence is like this, awesome!

The cross

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

Lovely indeed and I also like the name.

Magical Mystical Teacher said... [Reply to comment]

Dazzling! I'd like to walk out into my backyard and be greeted by such a sight!


THE SEEKER OF RUBY AND RED

The seeker of ruby and red
Will not let green go to her head;
Instead she will seek
Her senses to pique
With cherry and crimson instead.


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Fountain and Red Building

The Redneck Rosarian said... [Reply to comment]

Love this Ruby Tuesday post. Knockouts boggle the minds of folks who think they can't grow great roses. This variety dispells that myth... The variety you have (single red) are the most hardy of all the knockout introductions. You are right, they do form a "great wall" of roses!