Saturday, February 13, 2010

Monochrome Weekend / Weekend Reflections



Altar, Winchester Cathedral, United Kingdom

In 2000 I was privileged to be part of a group from Tulsa Community College that spent 10 days touring England and France. We traveled through Winchester where I discovered that Winchester Cathedral is more than a song by The Beatles.

Winchester Cathedral at Winchester in Hampshire is one of the largest cathedrals in England, with the longest nave and overall length of any Gothic cathedral in Europe. It is exceptionally beautiful.


More Monochrome Weekend



More Weekend Reflections

11 comments:

Micki02 said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful picture ! Winchester is our twin town ! My husband went to Winchester 1( years ago with his rugby team !
kisses

LosAngelesSuburbiaDailyPhoto said... [Reply to comment]

I've been here, myself, and I must say this photo in sepia gives the cathedral a very nostalgic feel...a beauty, indeed.

James said... [Reply to comment]

Churches like this are one of the reasons that I love going to Europe. What a perfect momochrome shot.

I found out that stones on a grave or memorial is an old Jewish custom. A sign of respect and to show others that the site has been visited. I'm glad you asked because I also wondered about it.

Rune Eide said... [Reply to comment]

The Gothic cathedrals must have been made for photographers. There are subjects everywhere. I bet you used a GB or two here.

BTW The song was by "The New Vaudeville Band" ;-)

eileeninmd said... [Reply to comment]

Beautiful photo!

Kat said... [Reply to comment]

What a stunning sight that must have been. Gorgeous photo, and I love it in sepia. Kathy (btw I was going to tell you that the song was done by the New Vaudeville Band, but I see RuneE beat me to it!)

anemonen said... [Reply to comment]

Very beautiful photo. Amazing church.

Deden said... [Reply to comment]

I've never been inside a church, but this one is very gorgeous.. nice aiming angle.. awesome.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

A fine image Bill. Looks great with the sepia tones.

Clueless in Boston said... [Reply to comment]

I think I had heard that before about Winchester Cathedral, but it is great to see a picture of it.

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

I'm not usually a huge fan of Gothic style but I must say this cathedral is lovely!